Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mom Always Liked You Better!

The Smothers Brothers...I was too young to watch them, but I do remember their tag line.  In this case, I'm not talking about my own siblings, but my own little darlings. 

I've heard parents of 2 or more kids talking about how from time to time, they like one of their children better...that they prefer the company of one of their children over the other one.  Notice I didn't say, and never said that they LOVE one of their kids more--lest you think I'm some monster.  I never thought it would happen to me.  Not me!  I love both of my children the same!  They are both delicate and unique snowflakes that bring joy and light to my world.

Eh. Wrong.

Right now, I am having a really hard time being around Bay.  She is still the funny, goofy, adorable, smart little girl that I love with every fiber of my being...but ZOMFSM, she is a challenge.  She's headstrong and she's definitely hit her "threes".  She needs to do everything herself, gets ragingly pissed-off when she can't do whatever it is that she's doing immediately, but then won't let me help her.  However, if Babe attempts to step in and take over, she freaks the fuck out about that.  Her tantrums are of epic proportions--we're talking throwing herself down, screaming at the top of her lungs, kicking, punching, biting-type tantrums.  And, for the last couple weeks, she's been insisting that she sleep with her light on, which is fine, I guess, but I don't think she's sleeping all that well and the other night, she was up 5 times between midnight and 5, one of the times she asked for a fricking waffle. <insert WTF face>

Of course, I'm busy, and stressed, so I'm handling her behavior, um...not so well.  I get pissed because she's being cranky and frankly, I don't want to deal with her.

Which, of course, leads me to my whole point.  Boo?  He's been frelling awesome lately--he started Kindergarten, which he adores, he's stopped freaking out when he gets in trouble, he doesn't fight (much) about homework, he even woke himself up last week and got himself completely dressed.  It's like, "Who the hell is this kid?"  So, of course I find myself enjoying hanging out with Boo...he can tell me what's bothering him, rather than dissolving into a pile of tears and shrieks; he is, for the most part, rational; he doesn't feel the need to argue with me every time I say something.  It's just more pleasant.

What, you may be asking, is the whole point of this?  Not sure.  To assure others in the same boat that they're not alone?  To seek reassurance that I'm not a horrible mother because I feel this way?  Probably yes on both counts.

I just have to keep telling myself that we'll move past this stage, and about the same time Bay is over the threes, Boo will be hitting 7 and 8, in which he'll probably want nothing to do with his mom, and their roles will be reversed.

Which, of course, will be a completely different post.

1 comment: