Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It Shouldn't Bug...

But it does, damn it!!!!!

(I'm talking about the inability for people on the interwebz to use a fucking apostrophe appropriately.)

I joke with my students, every year, when we're covering the 3 different ways to use these little gems, that "Apostrophe Abuse" is my biggest pet peeve in.the.world. I even show them this site and they all laugh and laugh and laugh.

Then, I'm perusing various internet sites where people blog, post, tweet, update, etc. and the sheer and utter lack of  knowledge about this particular punctuation mark bugs the ever-loving shit out of me!!!!!!11ZOMGELEVENTY!

I understand, it's the internet, and due to text-speak, the English language has been compressed, recycled, and pretty much mangled into something that vaguely resembles its original form. (And by "original" I mean the language that I use and love...I don't want any language nerds yelling at me.)  I should just let it go.  Hell, this is the second post I've made about this same topic...obviously I think about it a great deal.  I teach this stuff, I should.

The internet--for all of its speed and information--allows for anonymity to facilitate stupidity...and that's just sad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment